Synthetic & Systems Biology Summer School; 2017, Cambridge, United Kingdom
During one week in July 2017 I took part in a summerschool on the topic of Synthetic & Systems Biology. This course was out of my normal field of study but right in the middle of my field of interest. It was an eye-opening summerschool taught by experts in this topic. Getting out of my comfort zone, that is Medcine, by attending this course empowered me to gain new insights into my current studies.
Summer School in brain disorders research; 2016, Cardiff, United Kingdom
In July 2016, I attended this uppermost interesting summerschool, hosted by MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics at Cardiff University. During four days I had the opportunity of getting the insights into the most recent developments in a variety of domains of brain disorders research.
Barcelona Global Health and Climate Change Summer School; 2015, Barcelona, Spain
In July 2015 I attended a one week course on Global Health and Climate Change in Barcelona. This course was organised by ISGlobal in cooperation with IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Student Associations). It was a very interesting course during which I was able to exchange opinions with people from all over the world.
Working at the External Relations and Communications department of the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Medecine, KU Leuven, Belgium
In September 2015, I started working as a student employee at the External Relations and Communications department of the Dean’s office at the Faculty of Medicine of KU Leuven. This allowed me to get a more dynamic image of the faculty but also of its international relations. I was able to broaden my global view on education and it increased my eagerness to take part in courses around the world.
Charity: Rotaract North-Limburg
Since 2014, I have been a member of the youth service club Rotaract North-Limburg, part of the extensive Rotary international network. Each year we organise different initiatives to gather financial support for charities not well known to the public. One example of these initiatives is our yearly brunch.
Student Community Medica
Student community Medica is related to the Faculty of Medecine at KU Leuven. Since 2014 I have been a member of their website team and I was appointed head webmaster for both the academic year 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
- Nursery internship: In July 2014 I had a nursery internship for 2 weeks at the Operation Room (preparing and recovery) at the Mariaziekenhuis in Overpelt, Belgium.
- GP internships:
- In November 2014 I had a 4-day internship in the GP-practise "Het Huisartsenhuys" in Bocholt, Belgium.
- In March 2016 I was an intern for 5 days at the GP-practise "De Zorgpoort" in Lommel, Belgium.
- Voluntary internships:
- In order to master my medical skills I took a 2-day voluntary internship in April 2016 at the Operation Room at the Mariaziekenhuis in Overpelt, Belgium.
- Others: In addition to the internships above there have been a couple of brief internships, organised by the Faculty of Medicine, in the UZ Gasthuisberg, Leuven.